The second meal you can make from Slow Cooker Pork Shoulder, and you use the other 1/2 of the cabbage head you cooked with the shoulder. As a bonus, I have my recipe for BBQ sauce. You can of course use store-bought; it is after all, Monday!
BBQ Sandwiches and Cole Slaw
About 3 cups of pork shoulder, shredded
½ head of green cabbage, shredded
1 carrot, grated
½ cup mayonnaise
3 T apple cider vinegar
1 T brown sugar
4 sandwich rolls
1 cup BBQ sauce (store-bought or make your own)
- Stir together apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and mayonnaise in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Combine cabbage, carrot, and mayo mixture. Let sit for one hour.
- Open rolls, top with shredded pork, BBQ sauce, and cole slaw.
Bonus Recipe: MYO BBQ Sauce
Store-bought BBQ sauce is totally appropriate here (as is, for the record, store bought cole slaw. It is Monday, after all). We had a lot of ketchup in the house, so I decided to make my own.
2 cups ketchup
2 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T Dijon mustard (I like the grainy kind)
1 t liquid smoke
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
1 small Vidalia onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small hot pepper, minced
1 T olive oil
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add olive oil, then sautee diced onion for a few minutes until it is translucent. Add in the garlic and hot pepper and sautee gently over medium low heat for about a minute.
- Add in all the other ingredients. Let cook for about 15-20 minutes over low heat. Taste frequently to see if it meets your liking!